The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ is available for pre-order now at all telcos like StarHub, selected retail stores like Courts, Gain City, Best Denki, Newstead, Harvey Norman, online stores like Haachi.Tech and Lazada, and Samsung stores. Pre-order customers will start collecting from 10 March, while official retail units will be offered islandwide on 16 Mar 2018. Three variants will be available: Galaxy S9 (64GB) at S$1198, Galaxy S9+ (64GB) at S$1348 and Galaxy S9+ (256GB) at S$1498.
Benefits of Pre-Order
Besides getting the smartphone one week earlier than the public, pre-order customers get some freebies:
- Free Samsung Concierge Care Pack worth S$128, valid for 12 months. This allows you to enjoy 1-to-1 device exchange within 30 days, half-price for out-of-warranty repairs, one-time personalised service at your doorstep, 1-to-1 accessories exchange.
- For Galaxy S9+ 256GB owners: free Wireless Charger Stand (Black) worth S$108.
Samsung Trade Up (SG) Programme
Samsung tied up with Brightstar Logistics to offer a hassle-way to trade-in your old devices. Visit the website for the list of eligible handsets and the trade-in values. Unlike other trade-in programs, Samsung Trade Up allows customer to take their time to migrate their data to the new phone at their convenience, instead of having to handover the old device at the point of sale. After purchase of the new phone, just arrange for the old device to be collected at the doorstep on a separate day, and then the trade-in value will be sent to them via bank transfer.
Samsung Galaxy S9+ (64GB) Singapore Retail Unboxing Details
Although I missed the media launch event earlier this week, I managed to get hold of the Galaxy S9+ through NXT Magazine, Singapore’s leading lifestyle consumer gadget magazine. The content is available in print, on Magzter, and online.
What’s inside the box:
- Fast Charger
- USB-C cable
- USB adapter
- AKG earphones and eartips
- Soft silicone case
- SIM tray release pin
- Quick start guide
The surprising item in the box is the case, which appeared for the first time in a Samsung Galaxy S-series. That ought to satisfy the bulk of consumers who would not need to purchase additional casing. It would be far-fetched to expect Samsung to also include a screen protector, but who knows, maybe in future model releases.
Comparison with Galaxy S8+
The Galaxy S9+ overall shape and form does not deviate much from the Galaxy S8+, except it’s slightly shorter. The side buttons are slightly bigger. In a blind test, you certainly won’t be able to tell the difference.
The major change is the rear panel where the cameras and fingerprint sensors are positioned.
Significant Changes from Previous Galaxy Series
If you purchase the Galaxy S9 series, while you may get the same physical outlook, you will be receiving some major enhancements.
- Latest Exynos 9810 Octa-core processor (ARM 2.7GHz quad + Samsung 1.7GHz quad).
- Super Slow-mo: shooting short bursts of 960fps in a single video clip. This technology was first introduced on Sony Xperia XZ Premium.
- Dual aperture: a first on a mobile device, you can adjust aperture values of f/1.5 and f/2.4 to achieve varying depth of field.
- AR Emoji: create your own cartoon avatar, emoji, as well as videos. This technology was first introduced on iPhone X.
- Stereo speakers: enjoy music clearer with both the top speaker and the bottom speaker. This technology was first introduced on Huawei Mate 9.
I will be publishing a detailed review in the coming weeks. For more info, visit Samsung official website.